Saturday, November 24, 2007

Where do you go to my lovely?


"Ah Sascha Distel”, he said after 40 seconds, “people used to say I looked like him.”

“Who?”, I asked.

“A crooner”, he answered. “He dated Brigitte Bardot, which was a big thing in those days, you know”

“I see”, I said.

“By the way,” he said, “I'm very pleased you're getting into the movies of the 60s and 70s. I used to love Chabrol myself."

"I just got a new Chabrol", I said. "It's called 'The Bridesmaid".

“Well”, he said, “I don’t remember the titles…but I promise you I’ve seen them all.”

“Mmm”, I said.

“Ah, and Godard”, he said. “Did I ever tell you about the time I mistook Jean Seeberg for your mother?”

“No”, I said.

“Can you believe it”, he said, “they had exactly the same haircut! But once she turned around I could see she wasn’t half as pretty as your mother”.

“That’s nice”, I said.

“And you know what she answered?” he said.

“No”, I said.

“Sascha? I thought you were out of town”.

No comments: