Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lasso

I saw a film from the 70s last night with a score by Morricone, and came to think of the video piece "Lasso" by Salla Tykkä, which is set to the score from "Once Upon a Time in the West".

The first time I saw it, I was working at Louisiana, Museum of Modern Art, just outside Copenhagen, and much to my amusement, I was often asked by visitors if they would be able to buy "that beautiful music" that was accompanying "that video/"

Even though I should know better than to crudely categorize and stereotype the art museum public, it struck me that the ones asking where mostly people who weren't that well versed in the dos and donts of the museum experience. The savvy art aficionados, on the other hand, knew better than to publicly display their enthusiasm, and, if it were ever the case, their ignorance of the composer of the music.

When I saw the film last night (Days of Heaven), I was once again struck by the immediacy of Morricone's music. Just like the score used in the video piece, it's so over-the-top and beautiful, bordering on cheezy, kitch even. If I knew more about Kant's theory of the Sublime, I might be able to make something clever of that kind of aesthetic experience, but for now I'll leave it slightly banal, and simply find it interesting how that music awakens some kind of nauseating feeling of nostalgia and longing for beauty that makes your throat hurt.

No comments: