Saturday, May 3, 2008

Suburban Exotism

The building facing my sister's apartment in suburban Copenhagen.



Even though Denmark is tiny, I'm sure there are an infinite number of buildings spread around the country looking exactly like this one.

Generic 1930s Danish modernism: The only thing that changes is the color of the fabric on the balconies.

I photographed this one from my sister's living room window the other evening. All of a sudden it struck me as beautiful and interesting, which is peculiar since I probably walked past it every single day while I went to primary school no more than a stone's throw from it and never thought anything of it. Never really threw it a glance.

The odd thing is that I can't figure if my "re-perception" of it is generated by a feeling of nostalgia or exotism. Or if there is even that much of a difference between the two.

No comments: