Monday, October 20, 2008

Farting in Your Sleep


I don't know who to credit for this, but I think it's quite brilliant. Roughly translated from Danish it says: "If only she was lying in my bed, farting in her sleep".

However, there is some subtlety to the sentence in Danish, which the translated version simply doesn't convey. "Gid", the Danish expression for a mix of "I wish" and "if only", is just so loaded with Danish-ness, naiveté and a good portion of childishness, that I'm thinking it's one of those words that can't be translated. It's something a kid would say, to his or her friends, in an attempt to create a common universe by inviting the other to your thoughts. It strikes med that it pairs up greatly with "lige", as in: "gid vi lige havde nogle kager" or "gid du lige spurgte om jeg ville bytte barbiedukke - but what "lige" implies is another story altogther...

No comments: