Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Signs.
































I read a great article in the New Yorker last night, Thumbspeak by Louis Menand, about shortcuts, initialisms, contractions and the like used in cell phone texting.

Really interesting and entertaining article with peculiar examples, and I wonder if anyone besides me has to look at this little thing for a good while before it makes sense:

(_8^(|)

The writer also suggested that "k" must be the most common text message, as it implies "I have nothing to say, but god forbid that you should think that I am ignoring your message". It's silly, but I somewhat have to admit that it can be nice to receive even a "k", just so you know that your text wasn't lost along the way to its recipient.

Other great examples was the Frenchies' "ght2v1", which means "J'ai achete du vin", and the Germans' "nok" meaning "nicht ohne kondom". Odd to think of that these peeps feel the need to utter those sentences so often they've actually created shortcuts for them.

2 comments:

Johanna said...

I can't wait to read this; I have it open in a new tab; just a note: I think there is an extra http in the link!

Sarah Carlson said...

Ooo, thanks - I think it's fixed now:O)