Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lesson #1: Urban Quiet is different from rural quiet. Or: the first symptoms of homesickness

Boerum Hill is quiet, I have found out as I am approaching my 24th hour in this neighborhood. Quiet, as in no Puerto Ricans playing music in the street and saying "hey mama" when you pass them by. Quiet as in no fire trucks storming down the street with sirens going mad, and quiet as in no "rhubarb" - moviespeak for background noise. All I hear is Lux's breathing and some birds chirping, but even they are more quiet than the ones on my block back home. Actually, I think my own breathing is heavier too, when I am home. But perhaps that's just because of East Village smog.

Matteo called me earlier, it turned out he has the day off, and was lying on the couch with the sun falling in on his face. I think it made me homesick...

But it really is a nice neighborhood. Yesterday I walked past one of Nuppu and Ville's favorite hangouts, Building on Bond, and saw such perfectly scruffy and cool people I got chills down my spine. Perhaps I should start to mingle?

3 comments:

M said...

Sarah! Go home!

Sarah Carlson said...

:OP I might do a field trip home this weekend actually. I promised Al we'd go flower shopping.

Matteo said...

actually urban quiet makes me look like a junkie.
I spent most of that day playing sim city on that couch.