Thursday, April 23, 2009

Two dollars worth of pompousness and subversiveness

It's not just Strands that have 1-dollar book carts outside their store. Today I pased by an itty-bitty place on Atlantic Avenue where they had that too.

And what did I choose but this odd pair: Martin Heidegger's "Introduction to Metaphysics" (which I bought mostly because I found it so worn out and pretty) and a collection of three John Waters' scripts (which I bought because I have been thinking it might be interesting to acquaint myself with the art of writing film scripts).

As for John Waters, I suspect he would be thrilled and amused to know that his work was purchased for one dollar, and for interest in his content no less, whereas I think Heidegger would find it non-amusing, to say the least, that his work was dug out from a motley of one-dollar books, and that his work was chosen for its exterior beauty above all else.

No comments: