Tuesday, May 5, 2009

For my sweet grandmother

My maternal grandmother saw a film on the Danish artist Per Kirkeby the other day, along with the rest of her art history class and she found it most fascinating. Me myself, I'm not to fond of Per Kirkeby, finding that his persona and ego far outreaches his accomplishments and talents. But be that as it may, when I spoke to her about him, I had to confess that I can, in fact, count a couple of Kirkebys among my most treasured possessions.

I promised my grandmother to put an image on my blog of the one I have here in the States, and for those of you who do not know his work, I can inform you that it does not at all resemble the stuff he is actually famous for.

This litograph is from the 1970s when he was in his pop-art phase or something, I guess, and I love it to bits. A lot of people actually ask if it's me, but I think it's a still from a movie he once made. Or perhaps it was his son? Hmm, I can't remember. What I do remember is that I went to high school with his son. He had pink hair and dropped out in his second year, I think.

On a slightly different, slightly connected note, there are actually two Kirkeby drawings at the "Compass in Hand" exhibition at MoMA right now.

No comments: