Friday, May 15, 2009

"Lookin' trashy like I do"

I'm in love with Dolly Parton. I think she's the smartest and the most talented and the most fascinating mix of all the things you think no one can ever be all at once. She defies categories and logic, and she's funny too.

She's been on my mind a lot of late, ever since she was on Letterman a couple of weeks ago to promote the new "9 to 5" musical, which was followed up by articles in The New Yorker and New York Magazine - my two preferred sources of information.

She's excellent. Excellent at its most extraordinary. And it strikes me she gets more fascinating and amazing and mythical the older she gets. Kind of like the archetypal male artist. Only better, because you just sense that she knows, and gets and realizes. At an extreme level.

“I want to be like one of those little fainting goats that get scared and then just fall over. I want to go and go and then drop dead in the middle of something I’m loving to do. And if that doesn’t happen, if I wind up sitting in a wheelchair, at least I’ll have my high heels on."

From The New York Magazine article. Which you can read in full here.

2 comments:

Maj Beldring Henningsen said...

Velkommen i fanklubben.
Har været medlem et par år.
Og man bliver altid overrasket over, hvor mange store hits hun rent faktisk står bag!

Sarah Carlson said...

Og hun er bare så skarp. Kniiivskarp. Ligesom dig.