Friday, June 5, 2009

influentia

Boo hoo, I got the flu! I think I got whatever it was Marie had a month back or so, and what Johan Mau's friend Heidi contracted when she just visited New York: It's rather brief but rather intense, perhaps one of those watered-down versions of the H1N1/Swine Flu that health professionals say people are likely to mistake for regular seasonal flu?

In any case, I've been at home for the past couple of days whining to anyone in my vicinity about dizziness, fatigue, body aches, and sore eyes that are hypersensitive to light (in fact, when I went out for juice yesterday I wore my sunglasses even inside the store, which made several people do a double take on me, most likely mistaking me for a famous person...Who I wonder? Perhaps someone pretty?).

When I called my dad for pity and compassion, explaining I wasn't feeling well, his first reaction was: "Have you been drinking?!". When I told him my neck was sore, he said: "Are you able to put your chin to your chest?!" - The meningitis test, in case your wondering.

In fact, I wonder how many recognize that parental knee-jerk reaction to their child's sickness? For as long as I can remember, this has been the one thing my parents ask my sister and I when we're down with something that involves headaches and tense neck and back muscles. Or any illness for that matter: "You have a belly ache you said? Can you put your chin to your chest?!!"

My friend Anne Christine, who recently became a proper doctor (as in MD, you know), confirmed the same thing. Maybe there were lots of cases of meningitis around the time we were born or something?

Anyway, now it's back to work. It seems my flu has morphed into a regular old cold with a little bit of coughing, sneezing and a runny nose. And yay hurrah, I mistakenly wound up buying pink kleenex to brighten up the whole ordeal!

No comments: