Sunday, December 5, 2010

lunch. and cooking tip.

I made a really delicious goat cheese salad for Johan and I today, and mid-cooking I had somewhat of a dilettante chef's moment, which I thought I'd share with you:

You know those winter tomatoes that don't quite taste or smell like they're supposed to? And do you find that when it comes to roasting them on a pan or in the oven, you have to do it for quite a while if it is to make any flavorable difference? Well, if you do, may I suggest you try this instead: Blanch your tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or two (depending on their size), de-skin them, and lightly chop them or part them - if they don't fall apart on their own, that is. Now you can add them to your salad as is (on top perhaps, as they look beautiful), or you can use them as a basis for a simple dressing of olive oil and something acidic of your choice. With a touch of s&p.

No comments: