Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Peppermint Patty. (And patties on the sly. And questions I don't get.)

Just now I was digging around in our candy drawer - we have one such exciting drawer in the kitchen, you see! - and in lack of more tasteful things to satiate my thirst for something sweet with, I went for a peppermint-flavored candy cane left there since way before Christmas.

Anyway, as I was standing there, gracefully using my teeth to tear it out of its cellophane wrapping, I started chanting (albeit silently, as in inside my mind):

"Peppermint....peppermint pattie....peppermint patty? Now wait a minute, Peppermint Patty?! That's a great name for a children's book character! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?!"


Well, someone has, and he goes by the name of Charles M. Schulz and is the author of a little known comic strip called Peanuts.

Darn.


Speaking of peppermint-flavored things, I so miss being able to buy and more specifically eat York Peppermint Patties. It used to my secret little indulgence. You know, the one I'd get if I had to quickly pop out to the store to get, I dunno, milk, and then I'd finish the whole king-sized thing on my two-block walk home and thus erase every trace of its existence as well as my gluttony before I walked through the front door.



Now, if I were a proper lady blogger, this would be when I would ask all my lurrrvely readers what their secret indulgence is. But I won't (but hey, feel free to tell!).

I will tell you this though: When proper lady bloggers who have thousands upon thousands of readers ask, say, what their readers are up to this weekend or what their best recipe is, do they really want to know and do their readers actually tell? I mean, I get why the bloggers ask, cos hey, blogging is all about dialogue and reciprocity, etcetera etcetera, but sometimes I can't help but find those questions kind of condescending. Cos I'm like: Of course you don't want to know what I'm doing this weekend. So can you please not pretend that you do?.

Am I being cynical you think?

No comments: