Monday, February 21, 2011

So what are your thoughts on...Timberlands?

Now, before you judge me, let me just inform you that I have counted these boots among my belongings since the tender age of 13. That was when my mother brought them home for me from the States, you see. For my birthday, if I remember correctly. In either event, the point is that no matter if they're in vogue or not, they hold a very special place in my closet and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. So there.

That said, I have to admit I felt a bit dubious when I pulled them out of the closet the other day and put them on. Because you know, I too have come to associate Timberland boots with hip hop. And as you may have noticed, I'm not exactly hip hop.
This photo has nothing to do with Timberlands.
On the other hand, it didn't feel entirely wrong to wear them either. In fact, paired with blue jeans, I felt kind of resuscitated 90s cool...At least I think I did?

When I informed both of "my" Johans that I had worn my old boots out and about, they each responded with a brief 'hah!'

Johan the libertine evens went as far to inform me that his friend Mags often uses Timberland boots as derogatory subject matter whenever she cracks one of her signature 'your mama' jokes. Apparently she alternates between "Yo' mama wears Timberlands" and "Yo' mama's got a PC".

Funny!

But if you think that's gonna make me give up on my boots, you can think again. In fact, I googled to find proof that it's not just me that suddenly thinks Timberlands have a little bit of hip to them. Now, I didn't find much, but it seems Opening Ceremony has done a collaboration with Timberland. And I mean, Opening Ceremony doesn't just strike up deals with anyone do they?

No comments: