Sunday, January 29, 2012

At home. With Heston Blumenthal. Cooking shrimp cocktails.

It snowed last night and although most of if was gone within a second, there was a little left on the rooftops when I looked out the window this morning. Snow makes me ridiculously happy, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll get more of it soon.

Also in weekend news: Johan (of London) gave me a gorgeous cookbook for Christmas. It's by Heston Blumenthal (of Fat Duck fame), and tonight we're cooking two of his lamb recipes. I've had a gigantic leg of lamb lying in the freezer for months now after buying half a lamb from a guy at work who raises them in his spare time - how's that for local? Speaking of which, have you seen the Portlandia "Is it local" skit? Funny stuff.

On a somewhat related note, I felt I had to show you an image of Heston Blumenthal's shrimp cocktail, prepared with the precision of a watchmaker, of course. Johan (of this house) found it kind of hilarious that it's the chef's secret, guilty pleasure. But it's often like that, isn't it? Fancy chefs digging simple things like duck liver on toast or something, and then they have the rest of us break our necks cooking consommés and rillettes and the like.


 
 




6 comments:

dimiseb said...

your pictures keep amazing

Sarah Carlson said...

Thank you:O)

PROVINS said...

Ih ville gerne over og spise hos heston!! Har du set de shows han laver til tv?? De er ret vilde!!

Sarah Carlson said...

Også jeg! Og de der tv-shows må jeg vist lige have fingre i:O)

Lisa Kjellerød said...

your home is looking super cozy and I need that Heston book-snart!

Sierra said...

I just had to look at the first photo to know that it was cold that time. But these roofs are beautiful! Bacon and eggs in the morning would definitely rev me up for the day. And now that you have a new cookbook, you can cook a new feast for the holidays this year! You can try and cook lamb! :-)

Sierra Nordgren