Sunday, August 5, 2012

There was just too much crucifying, piousness and slaughtering of unicorns back then.

When I moved to New York in the summer of 2005, the first friend I made was a Dutch girl who was only going to be in the city for one semester. When she reached the end of it, she began getting serious about touristing, and somehow managed to cram in all (and I do mean all) the city's major and minor sights within one and a half week. I didn't really tag along to that many of them, as I figured I had ample time to do it, but the irony is of course that even though I wound up staying here for five years, I actually never made it to Ellis Island to pat The Statue of Liberty on her toes.

One of the places that she went to which I purposely avoided however, was The Cloisters in Washington Heights - a museum composed of five French cloisters, which were disassembled in France before being shipped to New York where they were rebuilt to house the Met's medieval arts and artifacts (seriously, who comes up with an idea like that?).

Anyway, the reason I never went is that I hate everything medieval. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It makes me feel depressed, anxious and as if I'm supposed to die any minute, and when I finally caved in and went there with Johan the other day, I actually left the museum gallery and sought refuge in the gorgeous courtyard, as I found it seriously hard to breathe in there. Johan thought I was silly, but I'm sure there are many out there who feel exactly the same about the 5th to 15th century. Right?

No comments: