Monday, July 22, 2013

Getting There And Away

It seems so grand and worldly to advise people on how to conveniently travel off to a remote African island, so I thought I'd do just that, although I have to admit I have absolutely no clue as to whether or not the following can be described as the most convenient way to go. Rumor has it (or actually it may be a downright fact?) that Princess Caroline of Monaco has a house in Lamu, right next to the hotel in Shella island where we stayed, and my gut feeling says the she might have an even more convenient way of getting there and away.

Anyway, Johan and I flew with Airkenya from Wilson Airport in Nairobi to Manda Island in Lamu, whose airport is more of a landing strip and feline hangout than an actual airport. And from there we were picked up and sailed to Peponi Hotel - easy as that.

Even though I'm quite afraid of flying and was girlishly upset with Johan for booking us a flight on a tiny, tiny airplane (the kind I'd sworn I'd never, ever, ever fly!), I have to say it was a most relaxing and smooth way of traveling. No endless queues at security check, no trekking down to a faraway gate at the very end of the airport and no stressful baggage claim and subsequent confusion on which train to take in order to get somewhere remotely close to your hotel.




No comments: