Monday, October 28, 2013

Oh my word. I just wanted to pick one of these guys up, put it in a stroller and raise it like my own kid.

I once saw a nature documentary on TV, in which a baby elephant fell into a mud hole, and some park rangers had to employ tractors and ropes to pull it right up again. All of which would probably be relatively manageable if it weren't for the fact that its mother simply. would. not. budge. from. its. baby's. side. And the park rangers were all: "Ma'm. You need to step over here, so we can safely get your baby out of this mud hole". And she was all: "Na-ah. Ain't no way I'm leaving my kid behind with complete strangers".

Anyway, it felt like a long five minutes to watch that ordeal, and by the time the baby was reunited with its nerve-wreck of a mother, I was sitting on the couch bawling my eyes out. Which is pretty much what I did when I visited The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (except I restrained myself to only crying on the inside). There I was lucky to get up close and personal with a whole bunch of orphaned baby elephants. Especially the young ones, who looked so sad and fragile, tugged violently at my heartstrings, but I really took comfort in the fact that the toddler ones seemed to be having a really good time, frolicking in the mud, chewing on branches and getting bottle-fed by their substitute, green-clad male human moms.

All in all, I got one word for you, if you ever get the opportunity to go: GO!   


This is not even the saddest picture I got. The saddest one I got is not suitable for this blog space, which I strive to keep perky and happy.


These guys have the coolest job ever, and they know it. 

This one had clearly entered its independence stage.

Look at that wrinkly tush. 


Here they are marching in for their daily, half-hour show. All in all, I think they demonstrated a very good work ethic. Kind of like: "All right, let's get people what they paid for. You guys take the audience on the left, you and you play with the ball and you do the mud bath. Alright?" 

This one tried to do a downwards dog but failed. 

I don't know what this one was doing, but it seemed to enjoy itself. As did I watching it.

I'm not sure, but I think they cover them up in these blankets when it's chilly and it's time for bedtime stories. "Squeeeee", as the girls say.

No comments: