Wednesday, October 16, 2013

We didn't buy that wooden rudder (and other disclaimers about our decorating decisions)


I've been meaning to post pictures of our new abode in Nairobi, but have kept putting it off because nothing really looked quite right yet. But then today it dawned on me that it will most likely never really look right right, because:


a) There's no IKEA in Kenya, which means that
b) You kind of have to work with what you've got, which, in our case means that
c) We have to embrace the dark wooden pieces that came with the apartment, even if
d) Those 5 feet tall chair backs are way too neo-medieval to me.

No really, we're quite happy with the little things we've gradually added to the space to make it more homely. Plus we're looking into having custom built a few pieces by a local cabinetmaker, which, in all fairness, is so much cooler than buying yet another Billy bookcase.

So whaddayasay? You dig our new crib? And you got any suggestions for how to brighten up that supermassive black hole of a kitchen, which we most likely aren't allowed to paint?

And yes, that wooden rudder is bolted to the wall with 10 inch screws ;OP





4 comments:

AC said...

Så fiiiint

Sarah Carlson said...

Tak mutti-mor :O)

Johanna Beyenbach said...

Hi! I love the apartment. I just caught up on all of your posts (the elephant baby one made me squeak the most).

As far as the kitchen, you could explore temporary vinyl floor tiles in a lighter color, OR contact paper for covering the cabinets, which can also be temporary! Here are some references in case you feel crafty any time soon:

http://manhattan-nest.com/2013/08/16/the-kitchen-floor/

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/five-ways-to-customize-kitchen-cabinets-with-colored-contact-paper-194443

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/10-ways-to-rescue-a-rental-kitchen-renters-solutions-186398

PS Your life is an adventure.

Sarah Carlson said...

Johanna! So happy to get a comment from you :O)

Love all the inspiration links (Manhattan Nest goes directly into my reader), but of course, now I can't concentrate on any of the things I ought to be doing today, because my mind is inadvertently scheming up things I can do with contact paper and vinyl tiles!

Now all I have to do is figure out where to get that stuff in Nairobi. I keep dreaming of coming across a home improvement store, but so far it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks for all the ideas. And for reading too :O)