Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Wednesday Morning Safari

My dad is visiting from Denmark this week, and seeing we were unable to fly to the Masai Mara for the customary safari, we settled for the next best thing: A trip to Nairobi National Park.

We set out at 5.30 am, the morning fog still lingering in the air as we headed into the park, driving around the fringes of the open grass plains with hundreds of animals dazing and grazing on them. Now, looking at animals in the wild is nothing short of amazing, but the fact that you can do it less than a 30-minute drive from your house, with the city's skyscrapers as a backdrop, is pretty mind blowing. (At least to a Scandinavian like myself, whose safaris tend to include a blackbird and a hare at best.)

Supposedly, the park has more than 80 wildlife species, and although we didn't see as many, I felt more than content with the 10-15 varieties that we got to gawk at. And as our grand finale, we got to see a male lion strutting around on the plains, while his sunbathing ladies kept an acute eye on him.


This rhino posed so professionally for the camera, I felt tempted to give it a big tip. Also, did you know that rhinos hang out with little white birds, who eat insects of their backs? Such peculiar traveling companions, but they seemed to get along really, really well.
Buffaloes. I think they're buffaloes, at least. What I know for sure, however, is that while grazing, they find it soothing to listen to podcasts with David Attenborough.  

Lions, for some reason, steal all the other animals' thunder. I don't know if it's that fact that it could so easily kill you, that's the big draw, but even our safari-seasoned driver was all: "LOOK! LOOK! SIMBA!

You have watched The Lion King one too many times, I thought to myself at first, but later I learned that simba is swahili for lion. So there's that.
They say buffaloes are really dangerous, but for the life of me, I cannot take them seriously. To me, this looks like a slightly kooky lady wearing curlers
I saturated the colors in this photo too much, I realize, but it's just because impalas otherwise blend in a little too well with the scenery. 

Wildebeest and a single impala, shying away from the rain.

Elusive alpha male. So typical.  It looks like it's dry humping the air. Also typical. 

No comments: