Sunday, December 15, 2013

Tiny Yankee (After Picasso's "Seated Harlequin", 1905)

How's that for a pretentious title?! I feel all amateur painters, instead of great art work, should at least do the world a favor by striving to give their paintings long, pretentious titles.

In all honesty, I'm very happy with the result, yet I'm purposely not posting a picture of the deliriously beautiful painting I've taken the liberty to copy pay homage to. It's like, juxtaposing the two pieces really doesn't come out in my favor, if you know what I mean.

If you don't have time to look at the original, I can tell you that it's a Chinese ink and watercolor piece from Picasso's rose period, which sits in the private collection of some very lucky bastard - perhaps the grandchild of a light-fingered nazi or perhaps an elderly philanthropist , who loves it very much. I guess we will never know for sure.

I have, however, made some alterations from the original. Running short on both Chinese ink and crimson red, I skipped ahead to my blue period, and found it fitting to make it a little more contemporary by replacing the Napoleon hat with an oversized Yankee snapback worn hip hop style, as the kids say (or may had said once upon a time). 

No comments: