Monday, October 20, 2014

The Spice Island. Day 2 and 3 and 1/4 of the 4th.


When booking our hotel for the rest of our trip in Zanzibar, Johan and I decided that we didn't want to stay in a fancy, overpriced resort and settled for some kind of bungalow situation for $60 a night.

Turns out this was not a wise decision. For one, they had 7 different kinds of bathroom tile, which I found really upsetting ;) Secondly, the room was just really dark and ascetic, so when we went out for lunch at a nicer hotel a bit further up the beach, we thought hey fuck it, we're only in Zanzibar once. Then we promptly went back, packed our bags and moved in there instead.

Anyway, as you know I'm a sucker for chronology, so why don't we go back and start where we left off: The beginning of day two.

Here's Johan. In our first hotel, I'd say 30 minutes before getting a sunburn on that fine chest of his. And also approximately 30 minutes after finding out that he had lost his iPhone in the cab that took us to Jambiani Beach. We tried luring back the driver by offering a large finder's fee, but that plan didn't pan out at all.

 Here he is from another angle, mostly because I really like that photo too.

The difference between high tide and low tide at the east coast of Zanzibar is kind of mind-blowing. This is high tide. Or approaching high tide, at least:



Here's me at low tide:


And here's a puppy we met when we were out for a walk during said low-tide. It was so adorbs I wanted to tuck it into my bathing suit and smuggle it back home! Unfortunately it wore a collar, so I decided against it. But seriously, look at 'em big paws. Squeee!


And look at it biting into our beach basket! (For some reason, dogs always give Johan way more attention than they give me, which I think is unfair considering the fact that I love them so much more than he does. In fact, I think this might be THE thing I like the least about Johan. That dogs like him better, I mean.)


Anyway, that's about when we sat down for lunch at that nicer hotel, I mentioned. See, isn't that nice:


And then we moved in here:

And got to enjoy this view from our balcony:


Here's me not getting a tan (sunbathing in my grandma's old kimono, in case you're wondering):

And here's Johan looking kind of sweet and handsome:


It was a wise decision to move here, because see how happy it instantly made us:


And srlsly, how can you not with this view?! Loved this view. Generally, I love views that are framed by something.


No comments: