Sunday, March 1, 2015

gush




 I was looking for a photo album on my laptop, and got distracted by all the spring photos I took while living in New York. Every single year, come March, I'd find myself sitting outside at sidewalk cafés wearing sun glasses and no winter coat. The bliss!

And the excitement that lingers in the air, when Spring hits! I feel all jittery at the thought of those long Spring walks I'd take all across the city (and the amount of shoes I had resoled at the shoemaker, a dark and dingy place on 9th Street, where, I suspect, shoes were mostly turned in never to be picked up again.)

It occurred to me, that it's almost 10 years ago that I packed up my bags and moved to New York. And it's almost 5 years ago that I returned to Copenhagen. Not counting the 7 or 8 months that I spent in Kenya, I've nearly been back for as long as I was away. But in terms of eventfulness and memories, those 5 years in New York feel so detailed and saturated with feelings. They're such an antithesis to my everyday rut, I sometimes get the feeling I made it all up.







No comments: